In Divine Company
Contemporary Temple Dance for social justice activism
In Divine Company is a Boston based, activist dance company with a contemporary temple dance aesthetic.
IDC’s movement narrative – Contemporary Temple Dance – fuses temple dance with contemporary urban and abstract dance theater to create an invigorating blend of physically intense and politically astute performance work.
IDC’s movement narrative also calls for a rebuilding of “dance music.” Musicians and dancers deconstruct classical Hindustani and Carnatic styles, and collage Americana with hip-hop, poetry with taal, industrial and found sound with the powerful rhythmic traditions of the Asian Diaspora.
In Divine Company is a movement experiment exploring the diasporic identity by:
* allowing for the reinterpretation of the classical within the contemporary by retelling old stories into a modern context.
* exploring story-telling as a performance tool for activism.
* rooting into a classical form that is “foreign” and therefore compelling to American audiences and thus ideal for subversion.
* battling orientalism through engaging new digital media.
* addressing social justice issues of identity, caste, gender, sexuality and the body politic from a decidedly contemporary lens.
In 2015 In Divine Company was called in to design and facilitate movement-based healing workshops by local artists and organizations supporting survivors of violence. We are deeply honored that our dance-work is manifesting in community in this way. To this effect, we are opening a praxis-centered approach to developing our future dance pieces.